Sunday, April 11, 2010

"Violent Crimes" Coming to a street near you

In the last couple of years we've had more violent crimes taking place in our very own neighborhoods then ever before. Some want to blame it on the recession, lost of jobs, others blame it on the increase in drug and gang activity. Sure, i believe that all of the above contributes to this increase, but i also happen to believe that the underlying cause is lack of respect for human life.

We just don't care anymore.

The value of human life seems to be equivalent to that of a an avatar. We are all just unimaginable faces living in a world where our existence really means nothing to the next person. A person set out to commit a crime against you doesn't concern himself with your family, your children, whether you just got married, a kid, or a defenseless senior citizen. They could care less that you are a good person, a hero, a community leader, a struggling mother. You are just another victim to them.

Crimes against children and elderly has risen so much over the years. They used to be the demographics that was most protected, now it seems they are most affected by this violent crime spree. All you have to do is see the news, read the papers, and i can tell you everyday this week a child has been shot, raped, or murdered. Innocent couples have been killed for material gain, and men have died over cars and jewelry or sometimes as little as $20.

Ignoring the problem is not an option, coming together is. In order to take back your streets, your neighborhood, a neighborhood has to unite with each other, involve the police, include the children, monitor and report, hold community meetings so neighbors can know their neighbors, create opportunities for the children and teens in the neighborhood so that they have more to do than hang in the streets (idle mind...u know the rest). I've seen it done in my mom's community. A community that was riddled with crime. 2 years later that has changed.

It's something we can't continue to turn our backs on, because even if we feel safe in our warm, cozy neighborhood, with our locked doors, and burglar alarm, I'm here to tell you "Violent Crimes" is coming to a street near you.

So fam, any suggestions? Your feedback is desired.

btw - we don't need anymore Horror films, we're living in one.

6 comments:

CareyCarey said...

Good morning my friend,

Well Miz, I am old school, and in such, I can't help but remember something my mother told me. One day, many years ago, one of my brothers had a patch of ringworm in his hair. Momma pulled out some of that old green salve and a glump it on his head. My brother didn't like it. He said it looked ugly. Momma said "Boy, that ringworm is trying to kill you. Sometimes you gotta get uglier than the ugly"

Miz, I think the real deal education should start in grade school. It should be mandatory that every child visit hospitals in which the sick and abused lay suffering in their beds. I think it should be a week long experience... Up close and personal. Then that same group should be required to visit penitentiaries... up close and personal. Every Year! Yes, show them the real/ugly process, growth and end results of violence and stupidity... EVERY YEAR!

I know many will say that children are not ready for that, and I will ask why? I do know that what we are doing now, IS NOT WORKING!

Anonymous said...

They said: "Mr.TramueL, Why do you live on the Westside?" ... This from folk who say things like I live close to Lake Wylie or I live in Huntersville (Sounds safe huh?) They have a false sense of security, believing they are less prone to violence because of their zip code.

I don't have any suggestions to add other than what you've pointed out. I've noticed a decrease that brings communities down and a heightened awareness and pride from the additions of a new Library and a new YMCA, they are filled with youth and the elderly. It has made a difference. We definitely have to be more involved.

Kudos Miz! (As always)

pollicino said...

Your blog is PRECIOUS

Gemini Girl aka GG said...

deep because I'm definitely one of those that shut my door, don't answer, and ignore...cept for the occassional scream out my back door "get our of my yard, honor our curfew, go home" other than that I barely know people in my subdivision...
and it seems they stay out later and later which is when most crimes occur (in the middle of the night)

the schools are starting to become more involved and after reading this DAYUM I need to also!

good eye opener MIZ!

25champ said...

I believe that it starts home. So many young parents and divided house holds that 106 and park is raising our kids. No more old school grandparents cause they 36 and still tryna do them. We need 2 take our households back and stop letting the petty differences keep us from raising our kids together whether we remain a couple or not. In order to see results we got to start with self. It's simple like Obama said "We are the ones we've been waiting for".

Mizrepresent said...

@CareyCarey - i agree with you, the training, conditioning should start young. We were always taught as children the wrongs and rights of the world...now that didn't mean we didn't indulge ignorantly at times, but what we had was a village, always there to correct us, to wake us up, folks who cared. I think that is the difference.

@MrTramuel - Exactly, it doesn't matter where we live...what matters is the quality of our lives and what we do to give meaning to our communities...(ie, libraries, ymca's and other programs) to combat the ills and disintegration of our communities.

@pollicino - thanks so much!

@GeminiGirl - I know, i was much the same, but i feel we do need to change and i believe a change is gonna come.

@25Champ - You couldn't be more right. It all begins at home and with families (whether divorced, separated or not) working together. Everything begins at home!